|The second ski tow (1948–1961)|
|Sketch of the GMC truck-powered tow rope|
|Postcard view of Pleasant Lake (c. 1955)|
The non-profit Outing Club hoped that a successful ski tow would help fund other programs like skating, swimming and even contribute to the Information Booth. In his 1948 Planning Board report, Chairman Ken Rich wrote: "We are glad to report satisfactory progress on the ski area with the erection of a ski tow and we hope through other organizations to see a skating rink before another year."
For all their optimism, the early years were lean, presenting frequent cash flow problems. Club Treasurer Mary Wright recalled that she often called on founder and president Bill Clough, Jr. to cover overdrafts. The ski area did become self-funding—especially during early-snow years when the slopes could open in time for the Christmas break. Despite modest expansion to three trails, demands for more terrain, more instruction, and more lift capacity prompted the search for a new hill. The old ski tow closed in March 1961, and King Ridge Ski Area opened the following December. Having introduced the sport to a post-war generation of townspeople, college students, and visitors, the ski tow had served the community well.
- Buker, Harold W., Jr. Oral History Interview (April 1992)
- Clough, Dr. William, Jr. "The Outing Club and King Ridge" (September 1976)
- Lauridsen, Laurids. "New London's Northeast Slopes" (January 1976)
- Squires, J. Duane. Mirror to America: A History of New London, New Hampshire 1900–1950
- Stecker, Anne Page. Our Voices, Our Town: A History of New London, New Hampshire 1950–2000